Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Civility, Final Chapter

So today I had the great privilege of going to the Utah Capitol and spending my afternoon with the Senate Democrats. These men and women are the *nicest* group of people ever, and they have been incredible mentors throughout this process. I am grateful and humbled by their support.

We met with a few lobbyists, celebrated Ed Mayne's birthday, and got to know each other a little better. Patrice Arent and Karen Hale are both incredible women and I am sad to see them both retiring. I know they both have great things planned, but Utah government will not be the same without them.

While I was rushing around to different meetings, I was approached by none other than LaVar Christensen, who told me that he had read my blog "Civility, Part 2." He said that I needed to change my entry because I had misrepresented what he said about House Bill 407. However, how I reported it is exactly how I interpreted what I heard. Larry Daniel was with me in the hallway and he also told Mr. Christensen that he had *also* interpreted the comments the same way I did. For several minutes Rep. Christensen tried to explain what he *meant* and several times, he asked me to change my entry.

On the long drive home tonight, I mulled over what I should do. Because my blog is merely my attempt to record my campaign experience, and because I am writing things from my own perspective and understanding, I don't think I should have to change or retract anything.

I will say this, however... it is not fun to be misrepresented. If Mr. Christensen feels like I didn't report it *exactly* as he said it or meant it, then maybe he can understand how I felt last week when he went off on Utah Democrats. He tried very hard to misrepresent Utah Democrats, trying to paint us as something that we are not. I did take great offense to his comments because I a proud of who I am, I am proud of my Utah Heritage, and am proud to be a Utah Democrat. I am a mommy, a wife, a daughter, a business owner, a choir director, a friend, a customer, and a Utahn, through and through. I have the same beliefs and live by the same values and standards as many in my community. To misrepresent me as anything else is absolutely misleading and completely dishonest.

Also, given my recent experience with Senate Democrats, it is not fair to misrepresent what they have done for Utah families. For example, Patrice Arent, Democratic Senator from Salt Lake County, filed 12 bills and passed 11 of them in the 2006 session . I don't know how you get much more effective than that.

Later in the afternoon, while I was in the Democratic Senate Caucus meeting, Republican Senator Lyle Hillyard came in to present the financial report. When Senator Karen Hale introduced me to him, I reminded him that we had already met - nearly 20 years ago when I was at Utah State University and the President of the College Democrats. I told him that I had met him on campus at a "Meet the Candidates" event. He asked me if he was nice to me that day. I told him, yes, he was a complete gentleman. We all had a nice chat about Senator Hillyard's garden and apple tree, and he enjoyed Senator Mayne's birthday cake with us. No politics, just friendly chit chat. I really hope there is more where that came from.

Now I am back home and ready to get back on the campaign trail. There is so much to be done. Onward and upward!

4 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Blogger Rob said...

With you, there will be no final chapter in civility Em. You are a class act.

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Emily said...

:-)

Thanks, Rob.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Lisa Johnson said...

Thanks Emily for your well-crafted entries on civility. Gandhi said "Be the change you want to see in the world." This is exactly how you are running your campaign and it is an example to us all. Keep up the outstanding work!

Craig and Lisa Johnson
Draper, Utah

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Lisa -

Coming from you, that is a gigantic compliment.

I hope the campaign is going well.

Final countdown!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home